Monday, July 9, 2007

Austria Ironman Race day recap in a nutshell

Well I can still walk and function which is at most I can expect at this time.

Will write a detailed race report later, but in a nutshell the race was very painful/long but I managed to stick and finish it despite being really tempted to all it a day and sag numerous times. It was the hardest race I have ever done. My threshold for tolerance for pain/discomfort increased substantially, one good thing that came out of it. The weather held up though.

Total time: 16:19

Swim : hyperventilated had to hold on to kayak for 5 minutes went off course had to swim extra 400 yards... 1:35

Bike : I 'thought' I was a mediocre rider, I was humbled as I almost DFL'd in the bike course which Europeans said was 'slightly' hilly. I saw 17% at times. Lots of walking happened up 1.5 mile 12-13 % hill and others. I was beat and barely made the bike cutoff by 30 minutes. ( around 8:15 hrs), it was not that I was slacking I just was not trained for the hills- totally my bad. Very beautiful/scenic route though with the lake and sunflower fields.

Run: for the first time I was relieved to be running, and passed several people (it was still a shuffle with total 6:06 hours)
walked the last 4 miles, could have done 15 minutes faster but preferred to have a chat with Steve and Daphne and power walk it since I had already blown off my goal ( 14-15 hours) and had plenty of time to the cutoff. ( 17 hours)

Don't want to see my bike today .. wonder why ;o)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

proud of you girl :)

Ellen B said...

Congrats on your race and finish. I think we learn even more from the tough races and when we miss our goals. Big kudos to you for hanging in there and finishing. EB

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the ironman race! What a huge accomplishment and it sounds like you stayed mentally tough on a very tough day!
Way to go Aylin!

Anonymous said...

I still cannot believe how you did it!!!!! It is a huge accomplishment.. Very proud of you ama allah akil versin demeden duramayacagim

Nuge