Thursday, July 5, 2007

1st Day in Klagenfurt

Went to bed around 12 and woke up at 5 AM with a nagging headache that I have been nursing since 2 weeks The sun was already up and Í must not have closed the curtains completely. I cursed at myself for forgetting the 'Altitude advantage ' tablets that I had ordered after hearing about them from Keri and Lisa.


Ate 1/2 bagel with some PB took a tylenol and tossed and turned until 6:30 then I must have fallen asleep. Next time I woke up it was 8:30 I had to rush to get ready for breakfast since we had a run and a swim at the race site planned with Jamie and Andrea at 9:30.

The breakfast was complete with all the dangerously delicious Austrian pastries and Honey Smacks. First I was wondering why there were no Starbucks then I realized that all the coffee I drank up to now was far better than any Starbucks coffee.

Took the local bus with the group and headed towards Ironman City, once I saw the tents and the Finish line installation preparations my heart started beating really fast. I thought to myself Holy ..rap ! this is not a joke, I can not deny it anymore it is THIS SUNDAY !! It was an intimidating but invigorating feeling.

We first went for a 20 minute run 10 minute out and back on the run course by the lake, I felt better than I thought I would but still was left behind with some other slow joggers, which was fine for me. The weather was beautiful mid 70's the air had no humidity it is really easy to breathe here.


Most of the people in the group were far more into the tri scene that I was ( doing multiple IM's every year, one guy who did the RAAM - race across America- couple of weeks ago ) but I did not let them demoralize me.

I know that I have the mental toughness that they have and possibly even more cause I was expecting to be on the course a lot longer than they planned to be. We all are going to hurt on Sunday the difference is that the slower ones will hurt for a longer time.

After the jog we went into the public beach from where the swim was going to start, everywhere is immaculately clean and this was no exception. The water felt refreshing, the temperature was about low 70's perfect for wetsuit. We swam about 30 minutes and I felt good about that too, so now I am all pumped up. Andrea gave us a couple of tips about the race swim.

Then we hit the registration expo, and did some damage. ( you know what I mean ) got my race bracelet on. They gave an Ironman Austria cycling jersey in the race packet it is pretty neat.


We barely had time to take the bus back to the hotel,grab a sandwich and catch the 2 PM bike course ride with the bus. First I thought the scenery was picturesque ( is this how it is spelled ?) then the reality of the rollers hit me. Jaime was saying ' Oh this is a fake hill ' and I am like ' Dude in FL we name these hills that you call 'fake'.


There are 2 major hills not very long one less than a mile the other about 1.6 miles. The steepest one hits about 12%. Those 2 do not worry me individually but the whole course is rollers and turns after descents the roads are narrow with no shoulders. I believe that they are going to close the course to traffic. The pavement is smooth and the scenery can really keep one busy going through small towns with cute homes with Impatiens in all windowsills. Jaime 'inofficially' advised us that the course marshalls were really relaxed regarding drafting - hint hint

I picked up my bike from the bike room which now has 27 cogs on the rear ( phew, after seeing the course I knew I had made the correct call, although I should have done this at home, cause I think they severely overcharged me.

Came to the hotel although I really did not want to go inside ( the weather is just gorgeous ) I knew I had to get some rest before the team dinner at 6.


Team dinner was at the same restauran we went lastnight, towards the end due to the 1/2 glass of red wine I almost was falling asleep and the headache returned.

Walked the streets ( there was a street concert going on which did not particularly agree with my throbbing head) went to a cafe and had great coffee !

Came to the hotel to find out that couple of people were going out to 'test ride' their bikes after assembling them while drinking some shots !!! Oh myy.. they are some brave souls.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aylin, I had no idea you were racing IM Austria. I am so excited for you! I just left Austria last week (beautiful & I am jealous you are there and I'm not) I loved it! I met someone while I was there who does IM Austria every year and they said it is a great race! I'm so glad I saw your blog - I will be sure to track you on Sunday! Just stick to your plan, enjoy towns of Austria, have fun and stay strong! Congratulations to making it to the start line! Good luck on Sunday!
Danita